Organization: Visa Inc.
Job: Regulatory Affairs
Job Number :156963
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks.
We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career.
Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
Based in Beijing, this position supports the Senior Business Leader, Government Relations, China, in the growth of Visa’s business in China by ensuring that:
- The expansion of the industry in general and Visa in particular, is not hindered by intrusive political or regulatory intervention.
- Visa is well positioned to take advantage of potential business partnerships with national and sub-national government agencies in the delivery of social services, payment of taxes, and other potential government programs that may benefit from the application of electronic payments.
- Visa’s profile and reputation are optimized through the delivery of coordinated communications and education targeted at key regulators, government officials, and other policy makers both directly and through appropriate industry and trade associations
- Establish and maintain and expanded access to and relationships with key personnel with relevant departments in PBOC and CBRC to be a trusted source of input as well as an influencer to relevant payments industry regulations that will benefit the payments industry development in general and to Visa’s future in China.
- Assist with identification and building relationships with a broader range of ministries and officials within the government (e.g. Ministry of Commerce), and quasi government (e.g. think tanks), and private sector representatives to educate them on the payments industry and Visa’s business and interests to grow advocates/champions for Visa in China.
- Ensure that Visa’s outreach and messaging in China are consistent with similar efforts in other key markets around the world and the impact and relevance of activity is optimized through personal leadership and initiative, allied to strong team work with functional counterparts and geographic management.
- Assist SBL, Government Relations, China, in the development and implementation of China GR strategy to achieve agreed business objectives
- Assist in communicating with lawmakers that supports business objectives and enhances Visa’s reputation
- Assist in promoting governments’, politicians’, and regulators’ understanding of Visa’s role and value resulting in a minimization of regulatory barriers to industry expansion
- Monitor the regulatory and legislative landscape for threats and opportunities to Visa’s business in China and communicate this intelligence to locally-based and functional colleagues and global leadership
- Assist in identifying legislative, regulatory, and political threats to, or opportunities for, the local franchise
- Be acutely aware of potential global implications of local issues and coordinate their management with global colleagues
- Monitor global events and regulatory/legislative developments in other key markets to identify possible impacts on the local political landscape
- Assist in the management of Visa’s relationships with Chinese policy officials ensuring education of these officials about the value of Visa
- Assist in coordinating regular direct contact with appropriate level of policy officials and staff
- Assist in coordinating adequate and ongoing country manager contact with key policy officials and regulators
- Assist in the development and delivery of informative and engaging local communications about the value of Visa fully aligned with business priorities and global messaging
- Manage development and logistics of thought leadership events, such as conferences, roundtables, symposiums and similar events and activities.
- Coordinate regular face-to-face technical issue briefings between business SMEs (local, group, and global) with government officials
- Assist in the management of Visa’s relationships with external consultants, key industry associations, and other third-party advocates
- Assist in the recommendation, engagement and management of Visa’s relationships with necessary third-party intermediaries including government relations consultants, industry associations, and broad based business trade associations
- Assist to establish and maintain appropriate contact with counterparts at other industry participants.
- The successful candidate will have a minimum of 2-5 years government relations experience and achievement. There is a strong preference for a combination of corporate and central/provincial government experience.
- Experience in public advocacy
- A thorough knowledge of China Government and how it operates
- An undergraduate degree is required. A graduate degree in related functions is preferred.
- Must demonstrate a strong understanding of core political and public policy motivators forChinese officials and other stakeholders.
- Exercise good judgment regarding confidential or material, non-public information.
- The ability to operate effectively and efficiently in a challenging, fast-paced environment with little supervision.
- Ability to manage substance and logistics for conferences, roundtables, symposiums and similar events and activities.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exercise good judgment in setting priorities and interacting with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong ability to work collaboratively with others across geographic boundaries.
- Willingness to travel as required.
- Must be proactive and solution oriented, looking for ways to add value and assist the team
- Language: Mandarin and English