A leading global communications consultancy is a looking for a dynamic leader for its China Corporate Communications practice (Director-level consultant) to be based in Shanghai reporting to the Managing Director.
It is searching for someone who is energetic, analytical and excited to take ownership. They will be responsible for leading a high performing Shanghai-based team, developing high-value client relationships, guiding strategy, executing projects, and growing the business. S/he will be a proven leader in corporate communications in China with at least 10+ years of relevant experience in leading teams within a PR or communications agency and/or in-house corporate communications experience. S/he should have a proven track record in stakeholder engagement, effective communications, business development, client service, and team leadership.
- Big thinker who understands strategic communication in China and can effectively advise and consult for clients, while being willing and able to help execute
- Produces excellent and targeted written deliverables in Chinese (native fluency) and English, including client reports, proposals, and PowerPoint decks
- High-impact speaker and presenter on complex issues
- Deep experience in corporate and issue-focused media relations, digital communication as a channel for thought leadership and positioning
- Accustomed to preparing for, and responding to high-profile crisis situations, such as product recalls, corporate restructuring, consumer complaints, and litigation
- Effective at working with clients and stakeholders outside of China
- Experience conducting media and crisis training
- Demonstrates ability to manage multiple projects/clients and sets high standards for client service
- Motivates clients to expand projects appropriately and honestly by demonstrating positive outcomes for client
Note: this role will focus on corporate and strategic communications, not consumer or marketing communications.
- Strong consideration will be given to candidates with experience in health care, fast moving consumer goods, transportation and technology sectors. Additionally, preference will be given to candidates who have worked in communicating around material business issues (such as M&A, transactions and litigation), innovation and sustainability.
- Analyzes client requirements to develop scopes of work and budgets that are appropriate and profitable
- Demonstrates understanding of the consulting business model and works to deliver profitable client service
LEADERSHIP & TEAM MANAGEMENT
- Directly manages client teams of 3 – 6 colleagues, and guides colleagues in Beijing and Hong Kong
- Develops team members’ skills, and offering mentoring
- Promotes a healthy work environment based on respect and support of colleagues
- Entrepreneurial and drives initiatives that recognize and reward people’s efforts/achievements
- Encourages and values individual differences, diverse ideas and experiences
- Understands the dynamics between international and local stakeholders
- Successfully generates and supports new business
- Creates high quality proposals and pitch presentations that are considered best in class
- Proposes innovative solutions and creative ideas for current and prospective clients
- Actively seeks opportunities for marketing the agency through thought leadership, networking, etc.
- Identified as internal and external expert on corporate and public affairs; networks externally
QUALIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS
EDUCATION: University degree or higher
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 10+ years of relevant communications experience; experience in PR, corporate affairs or public affairs for an MNC or consultancy in China; strong project, budget and client management skills; experience pursuing and developing new business; fluency in Mandarin and English required.
OFFICE ENVIRONMENT: The position will be based in the agency’s Shanghai office working alongside approximately 25 Chinese and international colleagues in Shanghai and a staff of more than 50 people across Beijing and Hong Kong offices. Local travel and occasional international travel is a requirement of the job.
Please submit your CV, which will be treated in total confidence, to the Group’s international executive search consultant, Steve Atack at email@example.com